The Story, The Very Beginning!
Behind every inspiration there is a story. In our years of association with the entertainment and fashion industry, we met with many talented next-gen artists who were not quite satisfied with the platform available to them. They felt the fashion events and shows have started to orient more towards the financial and commercial aspects rather than focus on showcasing their talents. While well-known designers and Bollywood celebrities were given the centre-stage, aspiring designers and upcoming talent lacked the much-needed attention because of which they failed to reach their full potential and value. Most of these designers were doing good work and investing a lot of their time and efforts but received hardly anything in return. Such disparity continues to exist in the fashion industry mainly because of the absence of continuous innovation and a structured platform.
We wanted to address this issue and provide an equal opportunity platform to emerging designers and artists across the country. This is how the Asia Designer Week was conceived. ADW focuses purely on showcasing designers from different parts of the country and continent. The concept behind Asia Designer Week is that it embodies the strong bond that exists between Asian countries with respect to the cultural values, traditions and heritage despite the diversities.
Asia Designer Week has been solely conceived for promoting the interests of fashion designers and helps them maximize their business value through increased opportunities, learning environment and a strong networking avenue. It is a platform that mixes professionalism, organized structure, passion for learning and continuous innovation to bring together artists from different cultures that resonate with one true voice – that of pure talent!
Why Asian Fashion Industry
You’ll be amazed to know that today 50% of the luxury brands in the fashion industry are coming from the Asia-Pacific region. Thanks to the growing impact of the Asian culture and traditions on the West, we are witnessing a lot of success stories in countries like China, Japan, India, Singapore and other South-East nations.
Asia has evolved from being a low-cost manufacturing destination for apparel, shoes and textiles to becoming the birthplace of the latest in fashion trends and designs. The rich culture, various ethnicities and colourful traditions of Asian countries have inspired some unique creations that continue to fascinate the fashion circuit all over Europe and North America. Here are some important facts and figures of the Asian Fashion Industry:
- India’s textile-apparel industry is estimated to touch $223 billion by 2021: Ficci
- The Indian ecommerce industry has grown steadily from $4.4 billion in 2010 to $13.6 billion in 2014 and likely to touch $16 billion by the end of 2015 on the back of growing internet population and increased online shoppers: a joint study by ASSOCHAM and Deloitte
- By 2020, India is expected to generate $100 billion online retail revenue out of which $35 billion will come from fashion e-commerce.
- According to Reuters, the number of middle class luxury fashion consumers in Asia will double over the next 15 years.
- Travel has been a big factor in the rising popularity of affordable luxury brands in Asia.
- The First Lady, Michelle Obama on the Inaugural Night Ball, wore a gown designed by Jason Wu, a 26-year old designer of Taiwanese-descent.
- Japan’s fashion pioneer Kenzo Takada feels that Asian couture designers have the potential to become “trend-setters” of the fashion industry.